Alabama high school football game disrupted after shots fired outside the stadium; 1 hospitalized

An Alabama high school football game was halted Friday night after gunfire outside the stadium left at least one person injured.

The shooting took place shortly after 9:30 p.m. at Fairfield High Preparatory School. Fairfield, which was celebrating its Homecoming festivities, was performing at Jackson-Olin High School in Birmingham.

Authorities said the game was in overtime when shots were fired outside the stadium. One person was taken to UAB Hospital, Jefferson County Sheriff’s Sgt. Joni money. His injuries are not life threatening.

Participants in the match described a chaotic scene, with players and fans fleeing for safety.

Money said the victim, a male, was attending a tailgating event in the stadium parking lot when gunshots rang out. The shots appeared to come from an area near an abandoned house, the victim does not believe he was targeted.

The Fairfield vs Jackson-Olin weapon was shut down when shots were fired outside the stadium on September 24, 2021. (Contributed)

MPs searched the area but could not find the shooter. Detectives and evidence technicians were still at the scene until early Saturday.

Fairfield was leading 26-20 in overtime in the game when gunshots were heard outside the stadium and the teams fled to the field. Fairfield scored first in overtime but missed the point afterwards and Jackson-Olin was about to take the ball. After a delay of around 45 minutes, Jackson-Olin head coach Tim Vakakes said, the teams were told the game had been suspended and were sent home.

The game is set to resume Saturday at noon at Fairfield, according to Vakakes, with Jackson-Olin taking his turn in overtime.

About Betty J. Snyder

Check Also

UMass announces October 8 football game with Liberty will be celebrated as #PrideDay

Photo: Twitter UMass isn’t good at football, but apparently good at trolling, as evidenced by …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.