The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the signing of guarantees for the hosting of the International Football Federation (FIFA) Under-17 Women’s World Cup 2022 in India.
The FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup 2022 will take place in India from 11e and 30e October 2022. The seventh edition of the biennial youth tournament will be the first-ever FIFA women’s competition to be hosted by India. Continuing the positive legacy of the 2017 FIFA Under-17 Men’s World Cup, the nation is gearing up for a watershed moment for women’s football when the world’s best young footballers show off their skills to lift the coveted trophy. .
Financial outlay of Rs. 10 crore aid to Football Federation of India (AIFF) for maintenance of the playing field, stadium power supply, power and cabling, branding of stadiums and training sites, etc. will be funded from the budget allocation for the National Sports Federation (NSF) Assistance Program.
• The FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup India 2022 has the potential to strengthen women’s football in the country.
• Continuing the positive legacy of the 2017 FIFA Under-17 Men’s World Cup, the nation is preparing for a pivotal moment for women’s football when the world’s best young footballers will show their skills to lift the trophy both coveted.
The following objectives were considered in order to leave a positive legacy:
• increase the representation of women in football governing and decision-making bodies
• inspire more girls to play football in India
• advocate for gender-neutral participation by normalizing the concept of equal play from an early age
• opportunity to improve the standards of women’s football in India
• improve the commercial value of women’s football.
The FIFA Under-17 Women’s World Cup is a prestigious event and would be held in India for the first time. This would encourage more young people to participate in sports and help develop the sport of football in India. The event will not only promote soccer as the sport of choice among Indian girls, but is also poised to leave a lasting legacy that will help girls and women across the country embrace soccer and sport in general. .
The FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup is the world championship for female players under or up to the age of 17, organized by FIFA. The event started in 2008 and is traditionally held in even years. The 6th edition of the event was held in Uruguay from November 13 to December 1, 2018. Spain are the current champions of the FIFA Under-17 Women’s World Cup. The FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup India 2022 will be the 7th edition of the tournament in which 16 teams, including India, will participate. The AIFF has proposed the holding of the competitive matches in 3 venues namely; (a) Bhubaneshwar; (b) Navi Mumbai and (c) Goa. India successfully hosted FIFA Men’s Under-17 World Cup India-2017 at 6 different venues namely New Delhi, Guwahati, Mumbai, Goa, Kochi and Kolkata in the country from 6th to 28th October 2017.