Football Association of Wales (FAW) chief executive Jonathan Ford is due to step down at the end of March.
Ford was the subject of a vote of no confidence passed by the FAW board on Monday, February 22.
BBC Sport Wales learned last month that he was on gardening leave.
“The Football Association of Wales can confirm that Jonathan Ford will step down as the association’s chief executive on March 31, 2021,” said a statement from the FAW.
“Since Mr. Ford’s appointment in 2009, the profile of FAW in European and world football has grown significantly and there have been significant improvements in world-class facilities, including national training and development centers. in Dragon Park, Newport and Colliers Park, Wrexham and the new Elite National Center and FAW Headquarters in Hensol, near Cardiff.
“During her tenure, Wales hosted several prestigious events such as the UEFA European Women’s Under-19 Championships in 2013, the UEFA Super Cup final in 2014 and the 2017 Women’s and Men’s Champions League finals.
“The men’s national team reached the semi-finals of Euro 2016 and achieved a consecutive qualification for the Euro for the first time in their history and was promoted to the first division of the UEFA Nations League in 2020 as a group winner.
“The FAW would like to express its gratitude to Mr. Ford for his efforts over the past 11 years and wish him the best for his future endeavors. The FAW will not comment further at this time.”
Ford said he was “extremely proud of the work and accomplishments of the past decade.”
“I am leaving with the FAW’s significantly improved corporate profile and the organization’s significantly improved financial performance,” Ford wrote in an article on its professional networking page.
“Off the field, the FAW significantly modernized and underwent a major governance review in 2018, which transformed the operation of the FAW into a more dynamic, diverse and inclusive operation.
“But now is the time for me to seek new adventures and pass the baton to another.”
Ford’s confirmation of departure comes 11 days after men’s national team manager Ryan Giggs had his bail extended until May 1 after denying assault allegations.
Giggs is set to lead Wales to the rescheduled European Championship this summer, while qualifying for the 2022 World Cup begins later this month.
It was by mutual agreement with the FAW that the former Manchester United star is not expected to be involved in Wales games in November 2020, with deputy manager Robert Page taking the lead temporarily.
The Wales senior women’s team are currently without a manager following the departure of Jayne Ludlow in January.
Ludlow said she “would absolutely love” to return to the Wales setup, but added that the FAW is delay in implementing major changes in the female game.
The statement confirming Ford’s departure makes no reference to a possible replacement.
BBC Wales understands that in the short term a combination of FAW department heads and their agents will take responsibility for the management of the association as well as key decisions.
A number of issues were at the root of the discontent with Ford, with the appointment of Angela van den Bogerd as head of staff and management of the association amid what a source described to BBC Wales as grievances “Multiple”.
Van den Bogerd is a former post manager, who was recognized by a judge for having “Obscured” and “misled” a court.
Ford, who was appointed Managing Director of FAW in 2009, has a background in marketing and has been widely recognized for raising the profile of the association and increasing revenue.
He also played a leading role in the restructuring and modernization of the FAW.