Plymouth Argyle and Lincoln City fined by Football Association after scrum

Plymouth Argyle and Lincoln City were both fined by the Football Association after a scrum towards the end of their 2-2 League One draw at the LNER Stadium earlier this month.

According to an FA statement, both clubs admitted “failing to ensure that their players conducted themselves in an orderly manner in the 95th minute of the match”.

However, Plymouth Live understands that Argyle remains far from happy with the circumstances surrounding the incident.

Read more: Oxford boss on not-so-secret Argyle spy trip

Argyle was fined £2,500, £250 less than Lincoln. No player was carded by referee Andy Woolmer following the scrum.

With the score at 2-2 in stoppage time, pushing and shoving broke out between players on both sides as Woolmer was slow to make a decision on the throw-in.

Argyle left winger Jordon Garrick battled for the ball with one of the Lincoln players as both thought they could take a throw-in.

After the game, Lowe said: “I wish I could tell you what I think about it, but I can’t. A decision should have been made immediately, the whistle should have been blown to say ‘it’s a key ‘.

“Obviously my boy won’t return the ball to his boy, his guy tries to get the ball back which is good and then a scrum breaks out.

“Jordon went to take the pitch because we felt it was our ball. Their boy was trying to get it, which is fair enough because they were trying to get the upper hand.”

Emotions were already running high after Lincoln’s controversial 90th-minute equalizer set up a tense finish.

Woolmer kicked after a challenge from Argyle defender Brendan Galloway on Lincoln midfielder Lasse Sorensen, which was a foul but TV replays showed the contact had been outside the box.

The FA statement on fines for Argyle and Lincoln reads:

“Lincoln City FC and Plymouth Argyle FC have been fined £2,750 and £2,500 respectively after admitting a breach of FA rule E20.1 which occurred during their EFL League One match on Saturday October 2, 2021.

“Both clubs admitted to failing to ensure their players behaved in an orderly manner in the 95th minute of the game.”

There was no explanation for the difference in fines for Lincoln and Argyle.

Lowe revealed last week that England’s chief referee, Mike Jones, told him Argyle should not have been awarded a penalty after Galloway’s foul on Sorensen because he had come out of the box.

For more Argyle content you can’t find anywhere else, sign up for Chris Errington’s weekly Inside Home Park newsletter HERE

Read more:Brendan Galloway back in form for Argyle after Zimbabwe debut

Read more: FA Cup first round draw: full details for Argyle fans

About Betty J. Snyder

Check Also

Duelbits becomes the regional betting sponsor of the Argentine Football Association

The Argentine Football Association (AFA) and Duelbits, an online betting platform, have announced the conclusion …