Plymouth Argyle, Lincoln City indicted by Football Association for scrum

Plymouth Argyle and Lincoln City are both facing disciplinary action from the Football Association after a scrimmage in the finals of their Ligue 1 game at LNER Stadium last Saturday.

With a score of 2-2 on the fifth of the added seven minutes on time, scuffles erupted between players on both sides.

It happened as referee Andy Woolmer was slow to decide who was responsible for the throw-in. Despite the scrum that ensued, he did not issue a yellow card.

Read more: Argyle boss Ryan Lowe is still waiting for the referee’s apology for the penalty

Emotions were already high after Lincoln’s controversial 90th-minute penalty equalizer set up a tense final.

Woolmer kicked in after Argyle defender Brendan Galloway challenged Lincoln midfielder Lasse Sorensen which was a foul but TV reruns showed the contact was outside the box.

Now, following the subsequent melee when Woolmer took no action, Argyle and Lincoln are likely to receive four-figure fines.

An FA statement released today reads: “Lincoln City FC and Plymouth Argyle FC have been charged with breaking FA rule E20.1 following their EFL League One game on Saturday (02.10.21).

“It is alleged that both clubs failed to ensure that their players behaved in an orderly manner in the 95th minute.

“Lincoln City FC and Plymouth Argyle FC have until Monday (11.10.21) to provide their respective responses.”

Argyle left-back Jordon Garrick struggled for the ball with one of Lincoln’s players as both believed they would be able to make a throw-in.

After the game Lowe said: “I wish I could tell you what I think about it, but I can’t. A decision should have been made immediately, the whistle should have been blown to say ‘this is a touch. ‘.

“Obviously my boy won’t give the ball back to his boy, his boy is trying to get the ball back, which is good, and then there’s a scrum that breaks out.

“Jordon went for the throw because we thought it was our ball. Their guy was trying to get it, which is fair enough because they were trying to get the upper hand.”

Earlier this season, Argyle defender James Wilson was suspended for all three games after an Independent Regulatory Commission hearing on an FA misconduct charge.

This followed an incident at the start of the Pilgrims’ 1-1 draw with Cambridge United at Home Park on August 17.

There was a scrum involving both players on both sides, which led to referee Chris Sarginson issuing yellow cards to Wilson and Cambridge right-back George Williams.

The incident was filmed and Wilson later accepted a violent conduct charge, but also challenged the automatic three-game ban.

This led to the Independent Regulatory Commission hearing and the standard three-game ban was imposed.

For more Argyle content you can’t get anywhere else, sign up for Chris Errington’s weekly Inside Home Park newsletter HERE

Read more:Argyle Galloway defender is slow to join Zimbabwe squad

Read more:Ryan Lowe backs Argyle’s top scorer Ryan Hardie for Scotland appeal

Source link

About Betty J. Snyder

Check Also

Bayern Munich renews its partnership with the Japan Football Association

Bayern Munich continue their links with international football associations and this time they announced the …